For centuries people believed that memory loss had been part of aging. However, recent studies have proven that many different aspects may have an effect on your memory capacity. One of the adverse factors being cholesterol. What does cholesterol have to do with your memory?
Cholesterol can be found in tissue and fat. It is a common ingredient in bile, which is needed for digestion. Cholesterol is essential for the body to produce different hormones and only 20% of the cholesterol in the body comes from food intake. The other 80% are produced by the liver.
However, increasing the intake of cholesterol in your diet can lead to heart disease and other types of conditions. For instance, atherosclerosis is a common condition caused by cholesterol. It´s effect is clogging up arteries and reduced blood flow. If the arterial deposit breaks loose it travels through the blood stream and eventually end up blocking a narrow blood vessel, restraining the blood flow. Heart attack is the result if the blood flow to the heart is affected. If the blood flow to the brain is concerned, it can cause a stroke, leaving you with speech and memory failure problems.
There are two kinds of cholesterol created in the body: low-density (LDL) and high-density (HDL) lipoproteins. ‘Good cholesterols’ are categorized as High-density lipoproteins while low-density lipoproteins are known as ‘bad cholesterol’ and are often treated with anti-cholesterol medication like Statins. Elevated levels of LDL are mostly associated with heart disease, whereas HDL helps to retrieve accumulations of LDL and returns it to the liver for disposal.
According to recent studies, people who have high levels of bad cholesterol have a higher risk of memory failure when aging. This condition often goes unnoticed, since high cholesterol levels cause no discomfort. That´s why many people find out too late that their cholesterol levels have spiraled and may lead to heart attacks and strokes.
Here are some more approaches to help you lowering your cholesterol and improving memory:
Watching your cholesterol levels is not only important in order to prevent memory failure, it also helps avoiding a heart attack or a stroke. By following the tips above you will be able to control your cholesterol levels and maintain a healthy body, mind and memory.